Thursday, January 24, 2008

Puppy Linux

I made the plunge on my old Dell Inspiron 3200 notebook and it is
fully running Puppy Linux now! So far very nice things like:

2:00 minutes to boot to desktop (30 seconds is the post)
jDarkroom and Java installed for clean no-frills writing (hopefully
this will spur me on!)
OpenOffice 2.2
A working LinkSys NIC! - This took a bit of digging.
SSH & rdesktop to get in to my work PC securely
Quick and dirty backup of my docs to a CF card

I will try to post some more experiences as the come...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Did you have to use any special boot parameters to get puppy linux to boot?
The live cd won't load on either 3200 that I have.

-joe- said...

I had to get tricky to install. I created a USB with puppy on it and then booted Puppy from CD with the pmedia=usbflash parameter. Puppy can't seem to properly use the cd/dvd drive completely. So basically it uses the CD to boot and then passes off installation to the USB drive.